Hiking 101 is the perfect class for people who want to learn about hiking or up there hiking knowledge and skills. This class covers
During this class, you will learn the following:
- The difference between hiking and walking
- How to read a trail map and understand its symbols
- Hiking terminology, such as blazes, switchbacks and junctions.
- Different software options you may use on your phone to navigate without a physical map
- Types of items used while hiking, such as trekking poles, clothing, and footwear(trail runners vs hiking boots).
- How to properly tie your footwear for hiking
- The principles of “Leave No Trace”
- Yielding Rules
Who Should Attend?
- Hikers that cannot follow a hiking map
- If you think blazes are a type of people or activity
- If you want to learn how to stay safe on the trail
- If you want to learn about hiking rules and stewardship
Did You Know?
- The average hiker gets lost within a 1/4 of a trail
- Many people confuse hiking and walking which may result in bad consequences
- Many people can’t read a trail map and are limited to only local paths
- Most people don’t know trail etiquette when on the trail with other hikers or horses
- Most people don’t know Leave No Trace principles